The Museum: the holy art museum of San Martino is housed in the palace built in the late sixteenth century palazzo by the counts Tasso, then acquired in 1670 by the Pelliccioli, known as Pelliccioli del Palazzo, family. The first steps in restoring the building date back to 1994 and were carried out at the same time of the final stages of the restoration work of the sacristies.
The eagerness and perspective of Mons. Alberto Facchinetti, when first being appointed as parish priest, promoted the renovation work and the creation of the exhibiting space. Mons. Facchinetti has always been perfectly aware of the importance, not only from the artistic but also from the pastoral point of view, of the local heritage in the parish church. The renovation work of the palazzo and the creation of the whole exhibiting place were projected by architect Carlo Panigada, who also executed the restoration work of sacristies. The building was in a state of total disrepair and required complex structural renovation, posing considerable problems with respect to its new use. On three floors, 14 exhibition halls have been created, alongside rooms for cultural events and conferences, and spaces for office and archive use. In the museum rooms are exhibited many items used for worship and devotional practices, ornaments, drawings, illuminated codices and choir books and important canvases. These objects are to be considered not only from the point of view of their artistic significance but also as objects which, when considered within the context of the whole, provide a record of the spiritual development of the community of Alzano Maggiore. These items have been brought to light once more and no longer run the risk of gathering dust far from all eyes.
These works of art or simple objects used for liturgical purposes, make up a part of the local heritage and now, once more, may be used for catechetical purposes, this being their original function. It is not a question of being held as a treasure but rather, of the opportunity they provide for a fruitful dialogue with the world at large. We should remember in this regard that, after some hundreds of years, a number of those liturgical vestments are still in use at certain times of the year, also for processions. Metaphorically speaking, this continuity is in itself a museum. Not only does this museum conserve the items, more importantly it is also a forum in which the life of the church of Alzano and of its community come together. The piano nobile, first floor, of the old palazzo hosts the halls with the oldest documentation pertaining to the church, the antiphonaries, the projects for the church facade, a large collection of liturgical items, traditional items and curiosities, the holy vestments, and the standards used during processions. A number of paintings of considerable interest are also on display. Of these paintings, alongside sixteenth century paintings, including important canvases by Cavagna and eighteenth century works once adorning the walls of the Chapel of the Rosary, we must also note the San Cristoforo by Tintoretto, and Palma il Vecchio's stunning representation of the Martyrdom of Saint Peter of Verona, Martirio di San Pietro da Verona.

Il martirio di San Pietro da Verona - Jacopo Negretti detto Palma il Vecchio

The Martyrdom of Saint Peter of Verona
Jacopo Negretti said Palma il Vecchio
Oil on board, 1528 c.a.